Composition in Context


I find that establishing a context for composition or theming courses increases student “buy-in” and results in a more engaged class. Most recently, I have used business writing as a theme for Composition II. Based on feedback, students appreciate business writing as a context for composition. I frequently receive emails from newly hired students thanking me for helping them create job application materials early in their academic careers.

When using business writing as a context for Composition II, I encourage students to write position papers about controversial issues in their concentrations while introducing them to academic journals, formatting, and elements of argument. I also teach résumés, letters, and reports by emphasizing the rhetorical elements of workplace documentation. Business writing can seem product-oriented, so I stress the importance of process throughout the course. With each assignment, students submit reflection memos critically detailing purpose, audience, tone, word choice, and document design. I also use a portfolio method that includes peer feedback and instructor feedback throughout the drafting stage.

One specific classroom activity Composition II students seem to enjoy is analyzing “junk mail.” We all bring in examples of junk mail letters and analyze them for persuasive technique, document design, and overall content. Students then work in groups to design and compose a sales letter for an object or service of their choice. I encourage them to be as creative as they like. The presentation of these letters is always fun, and gives us an interesting context for discussing logical fallacies, visual rhetoric, and language. In the future, I also look forward to developing and teaching an “e-identity” themed section of Comp I or Comp II.